Get instant documentation in Python
With the following recipe Geany can show a little popup window with documentation for the selected command or module in a Python file.
- Python and PyGTK are required
- Download the script from http://pydocw.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/pydocw to your system
- Edit your filetypes.python filetype definition file:
- Open ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.python
- If it does not exist, create it with the following content:
[settings] context_action_cmd = python /path/to/pydocw %s
- If it already exists, find the line starting with context_action_cmd and edit like this:
context_action_cmd = python /path/to/pydocw %s
- Restart Geany
Similar instructions can also be found on http://code.google.com/p/pydocw/
Select some string in Geany and right-click on it to choose 'Context Action' or, easier, use the configured shortcut for 'Context Action'. A little popup will open and show the Python documentation for the selected string.
There is a video on YouTube to demonstrate the usage of this little tool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85RxqGRtDoA